Filed under Sports

NFC Championship Game Lawsuit

BRUNSWICK, OHIO- The New Orleans Saints and the Los Angeles Rams faced off on January 20, 2019. The best of the best battle it out to go to super bowl 53 including the officiating but a call was made at a crucial point in the game that probably wasn’t the best call which really hurt to a team that wants this game back.

The New Orleans Saints have the ball in the redzone late in the fourth quarter. Drew Brees throws a pass intended to Tommylee Lewis, Rams defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman lays out Lewis to break up the play and no penalty was made on Robey-Coleman for pass interference. Not only did he hit Lewis before he could make a play on the ball but also committed a helmet to helmet penalty as well. Two missed calls in one play by the officials in one of the biggest games in the playoffs and costed the Saints a touchdown. New Orleans ended up getting a field goal to go up 23-20 but the Rams came back and tied it to send the game into overtime. The Los Angeles Rams ended up winning this game to move on to the super bowl.

Two season ticket holder for the Saints filed a lawsuit but NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has no control over the game being replayed. Head coach Sean Payton of New Orleans has privately urged the NFL to show some leadership and make an issue about the missed call. The league wants the U.S. District court judge to throw out the lawsuit this kind of dispute implicates no legally cognizable rights. After the game Robey-Coleman even admits that there should have been a flag thrown.