Filed under Sports

Two Sport Standout

BRUNSWICK, OHIO- Kyler Murray is a standout on the football and baseball field as he proved it by being selected in the first round of the MLB draft by the Oakland Athletics and is a heisman trophy winner for Oklahoma in college football. Time is ticking to make his final decision to either play in the NFL or MLB.

Kyler Murray is out of Allen Texas and was the most dominating quarterback in his senior year. He attended Oklahoma University and was a standout quarterback for the 2018 season. This past June Kyler Murray was selected in the first round of the MLB draft by the Oakland Athletics with a $4.66 million signing bonus and he’d be expected to be in the major leagues since he wasn’t getting any taller or thicker to play football standing at 5’10 and 195 pounds. Kyler would have to be an extraordinary athlete to stay on the football field which is just what he did and shocked the nation as the Oklahoma quarterback. Coming into the 2018 season as a junior, Murray put up a total of 42 touchdowns which puts him at second in the league and having a total of 4,361 yards along with seven interceptions. Kyler took Oklahoma to the college football playoff just sneaking in at the number four seed but losing to Alabama in the semifinal. Not to mention winning the heisman trophy to top off the season.

Murray also has a bright future on the baseball field and most people think that is where he belongs. If football wasn’t in the conversation then Kyler would definitely had chosen baseball and entered the 2015 draft and had been selected in the first round most likely signing a deal as much as $2 million to $3 million. In his sophomore season for Oklahoma he had a batting average of .296 with ten home runs and 47 runs batted in. MLB pipeline ranks Murray the no. 36 prospect in this years draft.

“He can fly, he can throw, he can steal bases, he has plus bat speed and he makes good contact” said the NL executive who has seen Kyler play in person more than on one occasion.

The only question is that it’s whether he will play the game or not, he even has family history who played baseball professionally. His father and uncle both have experience at the professional level.

Murray met with the Athletics and asked for a $15 million contract or else he would enter his name in the NFL draft and that is what he did. He still does have the option to play in the MLB with the Athletics but the chances of that keep diminishing as it gets closer and closer to the NFL draft.