Filed under Sports

The 2019 Rose Bowl: OSU versus Washington

Urban+Meyer+holds+the+Rose+Bowl+trophy+high+as+the+Buckeyes+and+OSU+staff+say+good-bye+to+their+head+coach+since+2011.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Urban Meyer holds the Rose Bowl trophy high as the Buckeyes and OSU staff say good-bye to their head coach since 2011.

latimes.com

latimes.com

latimes.com

BRUNSWICK, OH – Urban Meyer, head coach of Ohio State football, coached his last game at the 2019 Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl was held at the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena, California, on Tuesday January 1st. The Ohio State Buckeyes and Washington Huskies faced off to become Rose Bowl champions. Ohio State would pull out a win with a final score of 28-23.

January 1st would be Urban Meyer’s last game he would coach as the OSU head coach. Meyer chose to retire this year due to health issues. Unfortunately, Meyer has suffered from cysts in his brain for many years now. The cysts cause headaches that affect his coaching as well as his outside life and they have grown over time which lead his decision to retire. Meyer underwent a surgery in 2014 to reduce the pain, however over time they have came back and continued to cause pain. Although Meyer will not be coaching the Buckeyes anymore, he will still remain present in the program at OSU. Some theorize that he will stay in the program as a recruiter and eventually become head athletic director for OSU football as he is assistant athletic director right now.

Coach Pinzone, head coach of Brunswick High School football and fan of Meyer as well as OSU football says,“Why not make Urban Meyer the athletic director, now you can really power recruit kids for football and even other sports.”

The Buckeyes’ record of 12-1 was shown at the Rose Bowl game as they finished with a win of 28-23. The start of the game showed off as they scored 21 points in the first half to the Huskies 3 points. The Buckeyes would go on to score another touchdown in the third quarter. The Huskies went on to score 20 points in the fourth quarter that would ultimately lead to the final score of 28-23, making this the last win that Meyer would coach as head coach of the Buckeyes. Some doubted that OSU would pull off this win as the Huskies dominated the fourth quarter, yet most did not. Junior Joe Colombo states:

“I do believe they will pull out a win against Washington, I know what that team is capable of.”

Day will become the new head coach of Ohio State football. At the beginning of the season, while Meyer was suspended, he pulled off a 3-0 win streak with the Buckeyes. Day now has a 5 year contract with OSU for $4.5 million annually which will go through the year 2023. The staff, players and fans wish the best of luck to Meyer as he retires and look forward to seeing Day coach the Buckeyes on a regular basis.