• January 10Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under Community

A humanitarian holiday: Charitable giving in our community

BRUNSWICK, OH- The holiday season is here, and it is time to give. Brunswick High School proves every year that it is willing to help those in need during the LFO drive, and there is still help needed in our community.

In 2016, Medina County had 16,890 food insecure people, and Cuyahoga County had 233,580 food insecure people, states Feeding America. According to the Greater Cleveland Food Bank, 51% of Cleveland children also lived in poverty in 2016. Some of these hungry, and impoverished people could be our classmates, coworkers, peers, and friends. It is our duty to help those who need it however we can.

This year at BHS, there are numerous ways to help. In addition to LFO, Rachel’s Challenge is also collecting for Toys for Tots. The collection will be taking place at all holiday band, choir, and orchestra concerts this year, from November 27th, through December 13th. Toys donated will be given to local children.

Another way to help in our community is at Scene75. The activity center will be donating “an equal value toy (up to 30,000 tickets)” to Toys for Tots for every prize won on Sunday December 9th. In addition to this, a Toys for Tots box will be located at Scene75 throughout the season, states its website.

Outside of Brunswick, there are still many in our area who are in need. Donating to The City Mission is an efficient way to help Cleveland’s most vulnerable. 91 cents of every dollar donated goes directly towards helping all who are served by The City Mission- be it someone who is homeless, someone escaping abuse, a single mother and her child(ren), an incarcerated or formerly incarcerated person, or other individuals seeking assistance. Outside of financial donations, other immediate needs of the ministry include all-day bus passes (for residents to use to attend interviews and appointments), sanitary napkins, new towels and washcloths, new twin size blankets, new pillows, new underwear and socks, as well as new clothing donations (for the women’s crisis center, Laura’s Home), states thecitymission.org.

If material and financial gifts are not what you are comfortable giving at the moment, you can also donate your time. A popular way of volunteering in the area is ringing the Salvation Army bell at local businesses who allow it. Interested volunteers may sign up at neo.salvationarmy.org.

Another way to volunteer is through local community meals. Churches in the community offer hot meals year-round, and the holiday season is no exception. Reaching out to a nearby church is a great way to get involved, as volunteers are always needed.

There are many different methods of helping others this time of year. Consider giving of your resources or time this season!