• January 10Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

California Fires

Back to Article
Back to Article

California Fires

An aerial photo of the devastation left behind from the North Bay wildfires north of San Francisco, California, October 9, 2017.  California Highway Patrol/Golden Gate Division/Handout via REUTERS  ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY

An aerial photo of the devastation left behind from the North Bay wildfires north of San Francisco, California, October 9, 2017. California Highway Patrol/Golden Gate Division/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY

REUTERS

REUTERS

REUTERS

BRUNSWICK, OH- In the last year, California has seen over 7,000 wildfires. The latest fire was the most destructive in state history. The wildfire killed 85 people and destroyed over 14,000 homes. People all over the country are working hard to help those in need.

There are about 14,000 firefighters and 2,000 inmates on the front line fighting the fires. The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) has a volunteer firefighting program. The program pays inmates two dollars a day and one dollar an hour when they are actively fighting a fire. They also have opportunities to earn time off of their original sentence. Many people have discussed their outrage on the lack of payment toward the inmates.

Madeline Fujimura, senior at Brunswick High School, says “It’s not fair for the prisoners to be risking their lives alongside firefighters and be get paid way less.”

Aside from the firefighters on the forefront, many celebrities are helping out as much as they can. Lady Gaga brought pizza to a shelter in Los Angeles to help raise spirits. She also encouraged victims to talk to mental health specialist. Khloe Kardashian bought out CVS stock of water bottles, eye drops and granola bars for the firefighters and inmates. Guy Fieri helped serve meals to the firefighters and law enforcement fighting the flames.

Many other celebrities have helped through donations. Both Ellen Degeneres and Sandra Bullock donated $100,000 to the cause. Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth, who lost their home in the fires, decided to donate $500,000 to others that lost their homes.

You can help too! Donate to the American Red Cross, the Humane Society or any other organization working to help those affected by the fires.