• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under Community, Showcase

Link For Others drive commences at Brunswick High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

BRUNSWICK, OH – It’s the beginning of the giving season as the leaves fall off the trees and the temperatures drop. Link Crew, a club dedicated to linking freshman with an upperclassman to help transition them to high school, is running its annual Link For Others (LFO) charity drive at Brunswick.

The Salvation Army gives the Link Crew coordinators a list of names of people who have contacted them and asked for help this holiday season. The coordinators then, keeping the family anonymous, assigns Link leaders to each family.

Link leaders throughout the club are in charge of adopting families and spreading them among classrooms in the building. Each first-period classroom has a family that they are donating to and shopping for during the holiday season.

Brunswick High School’s Link Crew has been running the LFO charity drive for approximately nine years. On average, the club adopts between 20 and 25 families, shopping for one to five kids. There is a wide range in the age of the children who are being shopped for, from infant to seniors in high school.

“You never know what position you will be in one day,” says LINK coordinator, Sarah Salvatore. “Christmas is my favorite holiday and I want others to share in the spirit,” Salvatore adds.

All first-period students are encouraged to donate to help out a family in need. The drive ran from November 13, 2018, to November 28, 2018. Students had Thanksgiving break and Black Friday to shop for the families. They were asked to donate items such as clothing, toys, and food.

“LFO is extremely special because we have the opportunity to help out families within our own community,” says Link leader, Kirsten Badowski. “Organizations like LFO are what make Brunswick a family,” Badowski adds.