• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under Sports

What’s going on with the Cavs?

BRUNSWICK, OH – On Wednesday October 17th, the Cleveland Cavaliers began their regular season basketball games. The Scotiabank Arena is where the new face of the Cavs made their debut against the Toronto Raptors. The game ended with a score of 116-104 with a loss for Cleveland. The Cavs record so far has ranked them number 14 in their conference and overall. The Cleveland Cavs have had a rough start to the season to say the least. With the dramatic loss and trading of star players from the previous season; this is no surprise.

The trade deadline for the NBA was February 8th, 2018. In a little over an hour, the Cavs traded six players and their own first round pick of 2018 in three separate deals for four new players. George Hill, Rodney Hood, Jordan Clarkson, and Larry Nance Jr. were added to the roster. These players were exchanged for the following: Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Channing Frye, Dwyane Wade, Iman Shumpert, Derrick Rose and their own first round pick for 2018. Lebron James was also traded from his home team to the Los Angeles Lakers on a four year deal worth over $153 million dollars. James’ contract is ironically the exact wait time for his oldest son to be eligible for the NBA by the time it is up.

Thomas and Frye were sent to the Lakers and were traded for Clarkson and Nance Jr. This deal also traded their first round pick. The next trade was for Hill and Hood to the Cavs and Rose and Crowder were sent to the Utah Jazz. Joe Johnson and Shumpert were sent to the Sacramento Kings and a 2020 second-round pick. Lastly, Wade was traded back to the Miami Heat. Sbnation.com commented on the Wade trade by saying:

“Cleveland appeared to do him a solid, trading him back to the Heat, where he always said he wanted to retire.”

While the Cavs are struggling for a win at the beginning of the season, the loyal Clevelanders are still believing in their home basketball team despite losing many star players including James. James and the Lakers will be at the Quicken Loans Arena on November 21st for the reunion of him and his past team. Joe Mackey, Brunswick varsity basketball coach, gives his opinion on the record of the Cavs without Lebron by saying:

“I’m not shocked at all that we have started 0-5. Our older players need Lebron and our younger players are not as talented as our front office envisioned.”

On October 28th, 2018, head coach Tyronn Lue was fired from the Cavs franchise. After having a record of 0-6, Lue left the Cavs as the only winless team in the eastern conference. Larry Drew, who was once the associate head coach, was put in place as interim head coach now that Lue is gone. Despite the losses of the Cleveland Cavs so far, the rest of the regular season will tell whether the dynamic of the team will grow strong enough to be featured in this years’ playoffs.