• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under [Our] World News

What price would you put on human dignity?

BRUNSWICK, OH- Human sex trafficking has become bigger than what people think. Recent posts have been going around saying there has been human trafficking going on at Southpark Mall in Strongsville; Strongsville police made an announcement on their Facebook page, stating that the accusation that has been going around social media are false, and that they have not received any reports about kidnappings or attempted kidnappings at the mall.

The lack of reports does not mean that people can  simply push the whole situation about human trafficking under a rug. Ohio ranked 4th in the nation for human trafficking cases. More than 300 people in the state were victims of sex trafficking, some were trafficked for hard labor while others were trafficked for more than one reason. The range of ages for trafficking victims has the oldest aged 21 to 30, and youngest ages 13 to 15. According to Cleveland 19 News.

Not just women are victims, men and children are also involved. Human trafficking can also be a domestic phenomenon, where little or no transportation is required.

“Human trafficking is the fastest-growing criminal business in the world, according to the State Department. It ranks only second to drug trafficking in profitability, bringing in an estimated $32 billion annually.” According to Andrew Lam from First post.

As of September 2017, 24.9 million men, women, and children are trapped in forced labor, or trafficking. Some would say that human trafficking is modern-day slavery and involves the use of force, fraud, or coercion to obtain some type of labor or commercial sex act. Human rights.org. Human trafficking is not just about the illegal trading of humans across the world. Human trafficking victims are pushed into forced labor, sexual exploitation, and domestic servitude.  

One of the ways you can prevent becoming a human trafficking victim, is to take a lot of people with you; human traffickers typically attack those who are alone. Carrying a whistle, as well as pepper spray, can also be a valuable tool in the case of a trafficking situation. If you suspect a human trafficking situation, you can call 1-(888)-373-7888, or text “HELP” or “INFO” to 233733.