• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under Sports

How Baker Mayfield changed the game

BRUNSWICK, OH – Baker Mayfield has changed the dynamic of how the Cleveland Browns are playing this season. Mayfield has been a leader on the field since being put in for the injured Tyrod Taylor. In week three against the New York Jets, Mayfield led the Cleveland Browns to their first win in 19 games. September 20th was huge for all Cleveland fans. Turning the tables from Taylor to Mayfield was a step in the right direction for Cleveland. Many argue that the Browns have finally found their quarterback.

Brunswick Athletic Director John Justice hopes Baker Mayfield will, “hopefully be the quarterback that will lead the Browns to a Super Bowl title.” Putting Mayfield in has changed how the Cleveland Browns are playing.

Mayfield went to Lake Travis High School in Austin, Texas. He later went off to college at Texas Tech located in Lubbock, Texas. According to sbnation.com, Mayfield was said to be the first freshman walk-on to start a season opener as quarterback. Later in his first year, he received the Burlsworth Trophy for being the best player in Division 1 college football. In 2014, Mayfield enrolled at Oklahoma University. He switched to Oklahoma from Texas Tech due to scholarship issues, however, he was declared a walk-on at Oklahoma University as well. By 2015, Mayfield was the starting quarterback for the Oklahoma Sooners.

Mayfield was very successful as quarterback at Oklahoma University and in 2017, he won the Heisman Trophy, states The New York Times. He secured the third highest percentage of possible points for the award and was also the first walk-on ever to receive it. Mayfield also won the MVP award in the 2017 Sugar Bowl. After a win against the Ohio State Buckeyes on November 4th, 2017, Mayfield planted the Sooners’ flag in the middle of the “O” at Ohio Stadium. Little did he know a year later he would be back in Ohio to play for a Cleveland team.

After concluding his college football career, on July 24th, 2018, Mayfield signed a 4-year contract as a rookie with the Cleveland Browns. The deal was worth over 32 million dollars in guaranteed salary. Since his first game played on September 20th, Mayfield has changed the dynamic in how the Browns are playing.

A Browns fan, junior Jimmy Stalker, comments: “Any player who steps on the field with his kind of leadership is bound to change the dynamic and energy of a team immediately.”

Many fans believe that Mayfield exerts natural leadership and pushes the Browns to their full potential of playing the game. Despite many turnovers in the week 4 game against the Oakland Raiders, there is a huge difference in the way the Browns are playing since the addition of Mayfield.

Senior Anthony Ferraro adds: “I believe he will win more games because even in the Oakland game with all the turnovers we were able to score over 40 points.”

Cleveland fans agree that Baker Mayfield is what is pushing the success of the Cleveland Browns and only time will tell how they will perform under his leadership. Regardless, Cleveland fans are glad to see Mayfield on the field to plant the Browns’ flag on opposing fields in the future.