• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under [Our] World News

Bill Cosby’s status changes from comedian to convict

Bill Cosby is escorted out of the courthouse after being denied bail.

AP

Brunswick, OH – Bill Cosby was sentenced on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 to three to ten years in prison for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand 14 years ago in his home. Constand, at age 29, was employed as the director of operations for Temple University’s women’s basketball team and was introduced to Cosby in 2002 on campus. Constand and Cosby had started what was described as a “mentoring” friendship.

Constand had visited and met with Cosby for the next 14 months, until one night in January of 2004. On that night, Cosby allegedly drugged her until she was incapacitated to the point where she could not move or speak, and then he sexually violated her. Constand’s personality went from positive and outgoing to anxious and isolated.

In 2005, Constand spoke to her mother, Gianna Constand, and recounted the incident on January 13, 2005. 15 days later, a statement was filed with the Montgomery County, Pennsylvania police department. In February of 2005, the case was dropped against Cosby due to a lack of evidence.

Seven other women came forward many years later, during the rise of the #MeToo movement, and a federal judge reopened the records to Constand’s case. During the investigation, over 60 women came forward claiming the same assault allegations.

The #MeToo movement went viral in 2017, and many sexual assault cases have come public from survivors. Over and over, tears and stories have been told of sexual assault and harassment by men, especially in the workplace.

Many male celebrities and men of power have been accused of sexual assault during the #MeToo movement. Actors including Kevin Spacey and congressman including Senator Al Franken have all been accused of assault. Bill Cosby, however, is the first one to be sentenced.

This case had everyone watching and holding their breath to see what the next step of the game was for this movement. Questions were raised as to whether or not a celebrity would actually see a day behind bars, or, if he would be sentenced this late in life. The world was surprised as “America’s Dad,” Bill Cosby, was sentenced to three to ten years in prison for his crime.

“The punishment is 100% just,” says senior, Sean Tarbuck. “Bill Cosby committed a crime, an unforgivable crime, and he deserves to be punished,” Tarbuck adds.

Cosby’s attorneys argued that he is in failing health and at an age where he should serve his sentence at home. They believed he is too old to be behind bars, considering his actions were so long ago.

“There is no reason why someone shouldn’t serve time just because their actions occured a long time ago,” senior, Dominique Surace states. She adds, “the actions are just as dishonorable today as they were back then.”

Cosby will serve his time in SCI Phoenix, a state prison in Pennsylvania. Along with his term, he will be classified as a “sexually violent predator,” which requires lifetime registration, and he will have to attend mandatory sex offender counseling.

Cosby’s case is a new highlight of the #MeToo movement, and shows that no matter a status or age, one can and will be sentenced for their crimes.