• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under People

Staff Spotlight: Ms. Sprouse

Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff Spotlight: Ms. Sprouse

JoLecia Dowdell and Ms. Sprouse

JoLecia Dowdell and Ms. Sprouse

JoLecia Dowdell and Ms. Sprouse

JoLecia Dowdell and Ms. Sprouse

BRUNSWICK, OH– This week’s staff spotlight is Ms. Sprouse, soon to be Mrs. Zenczak. She describes herself as caring, passionate, and silly. Sprouse was born and raised in Sandusky, Ohio and went to Margaretta High School.

“High School for me was a very unique and fun experience. I knew my class very well as we only graduated 96 kids! It was fun to grow up with them and being friends with everyone. I was in choir, swimming, cheerleading, leadership, SADD (students against destructive decisions) and dance team in which I was a captain my junior and senior year.” said Sprouse.

Sprouse realized she wanted to become a teacher when her Biology professor in college got on a lab table to demonstrate how a worm should move (try to picture that). Sprouse continued to say that ever since that day, she felt that she would also be willing to climb on top of a lab table and look ridiculous as well to make sure her students were able to understand something. Dr. Baker will forever be her favorite teacher and she aspires to be like him, she stated.

Sprouse has been a teacher at Brunswick High School for roughly two and a half years. She has actually been a teacher for 4 years.

I have taught Physical Science, Chemistry, Biology, and currently this year I am teaching the second year of the PLTW Biomedical Science Program Human Body Systems.”   

Sprouse said the most rewarding thing about her job is so many different things. She loves that she can build relationships with her students and watch them grow throughout the course of the year. The students make her job enjoyable, and she says there is a never dull moment. If Sprouse could have any other job she says that she would be a counselor.

“I love to help [people] and listen to what others have to say.”  

Sprouse says that her role models are her mother and grandmother. She looks up to her mother because she is one of the most selfless people she has ever known; she always put herself before others and she lives by that every single day. Her grandmother is her role model, because she was always her cheerleader and even though she never saw Sprouse officially become a teacher, she saw how hard she worked to get to this point.  

Senior Jenna Kokish states, “She’s a really great teacher because she is really caring and she never failed to help me when I reached out for help.”  

Junior Victoria Maggard senior, “ She is a very kind-hearted person. She will help you with anything if you need it.”

Sophomore Bridget Stratnan states, “She is an amazing teacher and is willing to help students when they need it. She’s able to connect with students.”

Sophomore Sean Kidd states, “ She’s my favorite teacher, she’s pretty cool and nice, she helps when we are having a tough time with the material and good at slowing down when we need her to. She is easy to forgive if you mess up.”

Sprouse gives Brunswick students advice: “Get your sleep. Try your best every single day. Always be kind. Remember a bad five minutes is not a bad day. You can always turn it around.”

Sprouse is a very loved teacher at Brunswick high school.