• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under Opinion

AP stress

BRUNSWICK, OH, Advanced Placement classes, also known as AP classes, are offered at Brunswick High School. More than 20 AP classes are offered, which allows students to build skills that last for a lifetime, such as boosting their confidence, learning time management, and possessing valuable study experience for future. AP classes offer insightful information, which helps develop research and communication skills needed for college.

These classes not only help students build skills but can also help them financially. According to the Baraboo News Republic in Wisconsin, “AP classes could save a student between $44,000 and $88,000 in college costs by planing high school courses accordingly and maximizing available AP and Youth Options Credits.” Taking these classes in high school could even save a semester to a year of prerequisites, which could mean that they graduate early.

However, AP classes can bring a lot of stress. The way you get credit in AP classes is by getting a 3 or above on the AP Exam in May. So if you do well in class, it does not guarantee you getting college credit, which can lead to more stress.

Almost 40 percent of parents say their high-schooler is experiencing a lot of stress from school, according to a new NPR poll conducted with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Harvard School of Public Health. Extra homework and assessments can be brutal with a demanding schedule.

“I think since they are such high level courses sometimes you can get lost in the coursework and at the end of the day the stress does probably affect the grade, which is obviously not ideal. But if you figure out a way to manage your work and balance all your different classes, you can reduce your stress. It’s all about finding what works for you,” says, Jason Ghimbasan, a junior who has taken AP classes and Tri-C classes.

Taking college credit classes, regardless of what kind, can lead to added stress in your life. However, it may be beneficial to take those classes because it will help you learn for the future. You have to find out what you can and cannot do to achieve your best in the class, and see where your future can go.

The alternative would be taking Tri-C classes at Cuyahoga Community College. In order to earn college credit in these classes, you must earn at least a D in the class. This is a good alternative if you don’t want to gamble with the AP exam. However, not all credits transfer to the school of your choice. If you are going out of state, AP is your way to go.

“I felt that AP classes were overrated to be honest, learning about CCP classes at Tri-C has helped me a lot so far in my three years in high school. I’ve taken four classes so far and I love them. I think Tri-C is more beneficial than AP classes, because, it teaches you more information than an AP class. It also helps get you ready for what to expect in college,” says, Kevin Gabriel, a junior who has taken Tri-C classes.

Tri-C classes may allow you to get college credit without the stress of all the extra work from AP classes. It may be more beneficial for you because you get a feel of the college life in a community college versus just a normal high school classroom.

In the end, choosing the classes you want to take is crucial for your future and your health. [A] very low grade on your transcript from an AP course may hurt you more in the long run than not taking an AP in that subject at all, says Stanford News. Take the classes that will benefit you and make sure you weigh the options and find out what works for you. Don’t be afraid to take the challenging class; do what will help you in the long run.