• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

The opioid epidemic

BRUNSWICK, OH, The opioid epidemic in the United States has been a growing problem for decades now. Many people don’t even know how it all started or what the cost of opioid addiction in America truly is. No one really can truly say that they’ve fully grasped all the fundamental facts, figures and opinions on the opioid epidemic, but trying to understand the problem is the first step.

To first understand the epidemic we need to look to the past in order to see what the root of the problem may be.

In the late 1990s, pharmaceutical companies reassured the medical community that patients would not become addicted to prescription opioid pain relievers, and healthcare providers began to prescribe them at greater rates.” wrote drugabuse.org in an article called Opioid Overdose Crisis.

This led to problems we all can see. Now we as a nation are facing a large public health crisis. No one was properly informed on the ramifications of prescribing higher levels of strong pain relief medication and were even told that doing so would have essentially no negative consequences.

Now we are feeling the pain from those mistakes. They were understandable mistakes and mistakes that most of us would probably make but we are still left with the cost of those decisions.

“In 2013, the cost of medical care and substance abuse treatment for opioid addiction and overdose was an estimated $78.5 billion, according to a report in the journal Medical Care” Wrote in an article on CNN called Opioid Crisis Fast Facts.   

This was in 2013 when the epidemic was not as prevalent as it was today. Imagine the cost people are paying today and the fact that many people are not getting the treatment they need. We have to as a nation act or else we may be forced to deal with this crisis at its worst and the situation will continue to deteriorate until it gets to its worst whatever that may be.