• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under People, Showcase

Staff Spotlight: Mr. Smith

Mr.+Smith
Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff Spotlight: Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Rachel Russo

Mr. Smith

Rachel Russo

Rachel Russo

Mr. Smith

BRUNSWICK, OH– Our very first staff spotlight this year is Language Arts teacher Mr. Smith! Mr. Smith has been a teacher at Brunswick High School for 11 years. Mr. Smith had been teaching 12th grade Language Arts and journalistic writing, but he has a whole new schedule this year with the brand new Harry Potter class and 9th grade Language Arts.

In high school, Mr. Smith was inspired to become a teacher by two of his own teachers, Mrs. Israel and Mrs. Shaeffer. The two teachers displayed a passion for the content and the relationships they formed with students like Mr. Smith.

Mr. Smith explains, “It was the first time in my student career where someone seemed to care about something I was interested in. That was something I wanted to carry over to my students. Not only do you have to learn things, but you as a person matter.”

Students have overwhelmingly agreed that Mr. Smith is a teacher who encompasses the ideals he found in his own teachers. His class always seemed to be a place where students were excited to go. His passion shines through, which allows kids to be excited about the topics they are learning about.

Senior Allison Krueger states, “Mr. Smith is an amazing teacher because he takes time to relate to every student in the class and always makes sure they understand what’s going on. His class is special because he intertwines pieces of his personality into his lessons.”

Part of his personality includes the meaning of his tattoos, which sheds light on his beliefs as a person. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein reminds him that whenever you have something to give you are bound to that responsibility. The other tattoo reads, “Whatever will be will be,” which is a mantra for Mr. Smith’s life. He is proud of his “Best Beard” award, which started out as laziness, but it has quickly become iconic at Brunswick High School.

Outside of the classroom, Mr. Smith enjoys travel, music, concerts, playing the harmonica, and being able to experience all life has to offer. His favorite book is O! Pioneers by Willa Cather, and his teacher best friends include the entire far east hallway.

Mr. Smith has two classes that are new to him, including a class of his own creation about the Harry Potter series. The class has been a dream of his, and he is so amazed by the students’ knowledge of the series. The switch from 12th grade to 9th grade was initially nerve racking, but it proved to be a beneficial change.

Mr. Smith explains, “I have been so pleasantly surprised. There is such a desire to learn among the freshmen that I have not been used to in years.”

A teacher that truly deserves endless recognition, Mr. Smith is one of many teachers that makes Brunswick High School as influential as it is. He epitomizes the definition of an impactful teacher.

Mr. Smith leaves us with this advice, “Experience everything you can. There is nothing more important than the experiences you have with yourself and share with others.”