A classic tale performed by Brunswick students

BRUNSWICK, OH  – Brunswick High School Theatre Department is dressed up and ready to go for the annual children’s show. They are putting on a show directed by Zachary Pytel to entertain the children of Brunswick City School District’s elementary schools to a miniature fairy tale. This year, the department is putting on Alice in Wonderland, a classic story adapted by Peter Cookcroft based on Lewis Carroll’s “Through the Looking Glass.”

The cast will be traveling to the elementary schools starting on Thursday, September 20, 2018, during the day to perform to the younger students. They will perform over the course of the next week to all of the schools.

“I love the connection between the high school students and the younger kids. They think these high schoolers are really silly and they have a great time watching the show. Some members of the cast have younger siblings and they get super excited to perform the show,” says Technical Director, Ann Carl.

The cast was required to audition on August 23, 2018, and they were all selected days later by Pytel, the director, to be included on the traveling tour. Approximately 25 students auditioned for the show but only 12 made the cast list. The show is just under 30 minutes long, but it is filled with all of the essentials of Alice in Wonderland.

While the show is only performed to the elementary schools during the first week, there will be a public performance on September 29, 2018, at 11:00 AM in the Concord Little Theatre at Brunswick High School. This will be the last show to end the 2018 children show’s tour. Members of the community are encouraged to attend and see all of the work that was put into the show.

“This show is a fun way to expose the younger students to live theatre and engage them in something that is not shown on a screen,” says Senior cast member Jonathan Yokiel.

The goal is to spark interest in theatre to the younger students, to allow older theatre members to practice their skills and have fun, and to show everyone that there are many ways to be entertained live.