Voting for the Future

Brunswick, OH – Exactly one month after the Parkland, Florida school shooting, schools across the country walked out in the middle of the day to protest school violence. Some schools protested vocally, shouting for change, while other schools including Brunswick High School walked out in complete silence for seventeen minutes.

The purpose of the walkout was to bring attention to the issue of school violence, which it did. All news networks were covering the historic event as millions of students left their desks to call for change. Brunswick High School took the walkout a little further with the help of Rachel’s Challenge, a school club started in memory of Rachel Joy Scott, the first person killed in the Columbine High School shooting in 1999.

Rachel’s Challenge members created signs for students to write on and hold that said “I walk for…” to allow students to voice their concerns and opinions while respecting the moment of silence to honor the seventeen lives lost in Florida.

“I walked out because everyone deserves to be safe in school,” says junior, Haley Powell.

After the walkout, Rachel’s Challenge continued to allow students to become more involved in their school and in their community. During lunch periods, students had the opportunity to register to vote if they would be 18 prior to the November general election, along with signing the Sandy Hook Promise poster, “see something, say something.” Students were also able to write and mail letters to their desired recipient, ranging from state congressmen to the President of the United States voicing their concern about school safety.

Over 65 students registered to vote during their lunch periods on March 14, 2018. Students across the country are registering to vote, with the message that if Congress does nothing to end school violence, then they will be voted out of office come November. Over 4 million students will turn 18 this year alone, which makes them eligible to vote in the primary and general election races. Many more will turn 18 by the presidential race of 2020.

“I registered to vote because it is a right individuals fight for and everyone should take advantage of having their voice heard in our government,” says senior, Gillian Dralle.

Rock the Vote, a non-profit organization that has a mission “to engage and builds the political power of young people,” believes that millennials will have the highest voter turnout this year than ever before.

Students are ready for change and adults are starting to realize it.