A March For Our Lives

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Students, parents, grandparents, and so many others took to the streets of Washington D.C. and major cities across the country and globe on March 24, 2018, to demand change to the nation’s laws in regards to gun violence in our schools, and in our communities.

The march was organized by the survivors of the Parkland, Florida shooting. The students called on the youth of the nation to stand up and fight for their lives, fight for stronger gun control, and fight for school resources such as mental health specialists. The crowd in Washington D.C. was estimated at over 800,000 people.

Everyone at the march was standing unified calling for a change to our nation’s laws, shouting #NeverAgain and #EnoughIsEnough. Strong political figures, such as former President Barack Obama, tweeted their encouragement to the youth who were actively engaged in the march.

“You’re [the youth] are leading us forward. Nothing can stand in the way of millions of voices calling for change,” Barack Obama tweeted on the day of the march.

One of the most memorable parts of the march was that it was entirely student-led. There were no adult speakers during the entire event, showing the voice and impact the youth of our country have.

“I think it was an organic movement, motivated by kids, who have experienced these types of events from the time they were in elementary through high school, and they were given the opportunity to speak because it has truly affected them throughout their entire lives. Their time has come to have a voice. They are old enough and mature enough to step up and speak up on what their beliefs, feelings, and thoughts are. They are no longer leaving it up to the adults to make decisions that they have not always followed through with. As young adults, their voices are now loud enough to be heard,” says senior principal, Keith Merrill, who attended the event.

The movement has not ended after the march. Students are voicing their concerns by holding Town Halls with their local, state, and national representatives, along with continuing to tweet their opinions, attracting the attention of young and old alike.

Students are no longer sitting back-seat and watching their friends, family, and classmates die. They are the new targets of gun violence, and they are also now the new voices for common sense gun laws.