Candles For Columbine

BRUNSWICK, OH – On April 20, 1999, tragedy struck America in what would forever be known as the Columbine High School massacre. Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, shot and killed 12 students and one teacher along with wounding more than 20 others. They then took their own lives, ending the worst high school shooting in United States history.

Rachel Joy Scott, the first student killed in the Columbine shooting, always went out of her way to promote peace, love, and positivity in her school, and in her community. Weeks before her murder, she wrote a two-page essay entitled My Ethics; My Codes of Life, in which she advocated her belief in compassion being “the greatest form of love humans have to offer.”

Scott always wanted her peers to show compassion for others, and she accomplished this by promoting positive chain reactions in her school. After her death, her parents, Darrell and Sandy Scott, wanted to continue her legacy of helping to create safer, more connected, schools. They did this by founding Rachel’s Challenge, one of the most famous school outreach clubs. This club is dedicated to promoting positivity and reducing violence in schools around the world.

Brunswick High School is proud to have a Rachel’s Challenge group, composed of over 40 students, that works to make students feel more connected to their school. The group commonly plans projects to help show students that they are supported, loved, and never alone.

Days after the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting on February 14, the group launched the #PowerUpPositivity campaign at the high school. The project’s goal is to let students show their support for one another and encourage each other to spread more positivity.

Rachel’s Challenge is also hosting a Candlelight Vigil tomorrow, April 20, from 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM to honor the lives lost in the Columbine High School shooting and all school shootings since. Tomorrow is the 19th anniversary of the Columbine massacre.

The event will entail student and adult speakers, moments of silence, candle-lightings to remember the lives lost in the recent Florida shooting, and ribbons to show support of ending school violence. All members of the community are welcomed and encouraged to attend to help unify the community, show each other’s support for one another, and show hope for the future.

“I’m looking forward to the community to come together to remember the victims of the unfortunate events that have happened in schools across the country, such as Columbine High School or Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. I’m also looking forward to everyone coming together to focus on our common goal of making schools a more safer, connected place,” says Rachel’s Challenge member, Noah Bitz.

The Candlelight Vigil is scheduled to take place in front of Towslee Elementary School (3555 Center Road, Brunswick, Ohio, 44212) from 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM. The event will be on rain or shine.

“Tomorrow is about coming together as one community to support one another, and it is not to advocate for political policy. It is simply to spend an hour together to remember and honor the lives lost. Please join us,” says Bitz.