• January 10Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under 2017-2018, Archives

TIME Person of the Year: The Silence Breakers

Back to Article
Back to Article

BRUNSWICK,OH- “The voices that launched a movement” reads the cover of TIME magazine for their Person of the Year edition. Celebrities Taylor Swift and Ashley Judd are featured on the cover alongside actress Alyssa Milano, activist Tarana Burke, engineer Susan Fowler, lobbyist Adama Iwu, strawberry picker Isabel Pascual, and the arm of an anonymous hospital worker who stands for all victims who have yet to come forward. This powerful cover gives a peek at a few of the faces of the new social movement that has been responsible for the light recently shed on sexual harassment.

In October of this year, the New York Times released a widespread investigation on Harvey Weinstein, which then sparked a movement that only seems to be getting bigger. The investigation included actress Ashley Judd and her unfortunate experience with Harvey Weinstein at a hotel in 1997, a narrative that has since been proven to be shared by so many women in the industry.

When artist and activist Alyssa Milano tweeted a statement with the now familiar hashtag, #MeToo, it seemed like the floodgates had opened. “Sexual harassment and assault in the workplace are not just about Harvey Weinstein,” said Milano ” We must change things in general. We must do better for women everywhere.” she said in response to the outburst of hashtags internationally.

TIME has chosen these women to represent the movement because of the bravery each woman embodied while coming out about their traumatic experiences. The bravery that in turn gave power to the thousands of others who have spoken out about sexual misconduct, bringing about a movement of resilience. A movement that is here to stay- one that refuses to back down but rather stand together as victims to punish those who tried to knock them down. A movement shared by too many of those who never had a voice but have now been given a platform that will not be shattered. The silence breakers.