• December 20Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @TheDevilier

Filed under A&E

Spotify Sued

Spotify%27s+Logo+
Spotify's Logo

Spotify's Logo

Photo Credit: Spotify

Photo Credit: Spotify

Spotify's Logo

BRUNSWICK, OH- Spotify is one of the most popular music streaming services where people have access to almost every song and album by any artist. Customers have the option to either use the free version with ads and limited skips or pay a $10 a month fee for unlimited skips and no ads. Spotify is no stranger to coming under attack from artists for not giving them the correct amount of payment based on how often the songs are played. One of the biggest artists to take their songs off of Spotify was Taylor Swift, who only recently put her songs back on Spotify.

Most recently it was announced that the music publishing company Wixen Music Publishing is suing Spotify for using artists music “without a license and without compensation,” according to the documents filed in a California court December 29.

Wixen handles the copyright management and royalty compliance for many artists including Tom Petty, The Doors, Neil Young and Missy Elliot.

Tom Petty’s “Free Falling” and 10,000 other songs are listed in the lawsuit. Wixen is seeking $150,000 for each song in damages, which is the maximum award possible under the U.S. Copyright Act.

According to Wixen Spotify took a shortcut when it made deals with major labels to get the necessary rights to the songs’ sounds recordings but then failed to obtain the equivalent rights for compositions.

This is just another headache for the music streaming company. In May the company settled a class action lawsuit for $43 million with a group of songwriters who accused Spotify of using their songs without a license and without paying royalties

At the same time, Spotify is also facing three other lawsuits in Tennessee that were filed by songwriters and music publishers also for not paying royalties and to publishers and songwriters.

Spotify is reportedly worth around $19 billion and is supposed to put to lists their shares on the New York Stock Exchange later this year.