• August 21Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier

Filed under Community

Falconi Faces Brunswick’s Future

BRUNSWICK, OH – From city council to mayor, Ronald Falconi has been serving the citizens of Brunswick for a decade. He started his political career by volunteering for campaigns ranging from city council all the way up to presidential races.

After deciding to run for himself in 2007, he lost a ward council race. After losing the election, Falconi was given another chance and chosen out of 14 applicants to start out in 2008 as an at-large council representative to fill a vacant seat. He ran to defend the seat in 2009 and won. He then decided in 2013 to run for mayor, won, and then ran unopposed in this past 2017 election.

Falconi was administered the oath of office for his second term on December 27, by the former chair of the Medina County Republican Party and current Clerk of Court for the Medina Municipal Court, Nancy Abbott.

Ronald Falconi was sworn in by Nancy Abbott with his wife, Geny, and two kids, Joey and Angela, at his side.
Photo Credit: Melissa Martin

“He [Falconi] is a wonderful ambassador for the city of Brunswick and the citizens of Brunswick are very lucky to have him,” says Abbott.

Falconi was also the first elected Filipino-American mayor in the state of Ohio. In 1975, Eduardo Malapit became the first Filipino-American mayor in the United States, and in 1991 Gene Liddell became the first female Filipino-American mayor. Falconi’s parents met at the U.S. embassy in Manila, Philippines, to apply for visas to come to the United States.

“It is neat to see how everything transpired here over the past forty to fifty years…I hope more people of color would want to run for office and I think the great strengths of our country is freedom of democracy and also our diversity, we need to have people of different backgrounds and different ideas,” says Falconi.  

Falconi is looking to continue driving economic development for our city and plans to make it easy for businesses to start and grow here.

“My overall goal is to try and spur more economic development in our city and drum development on Pearl road. It is the forgotten part of Brunswick, and I want to change that,” says Falconi.

Falconi has also brought attention to Brunswick as he spoke at the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland. Additionally, he was selected to travel to Japan in 2017 with nine other American leaders of Asian-American heritage where they discussed cultural exchanges and politics among Japanese leaders.

Falconi states he is excited about another term in the city of Brunswick and hopes to keep moving the city forward.

“Go out and meet your neighbors, get to know the people around you, and make this city a little more family-oriented,” says Falconi.