• August 21Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier

Filed under A&E

9-1-1 What’s Your Emergency?

Oliver+Stark+answers+Alexis%E2%80%99+question+on+his+Facebook+LIVE+on+January+24th%2C+2018.+
Oliver Stark answers Alexis’ question on his Facebook LIVE on January 24th, 2018.

Alexis Murad

Alexis Murad

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA- You all know what 9-1-1 means, and we hope you have never had to call that number before. There is a new T.V. show that deals with the reality of what a 9-1-1 call could really mean, which is on FOX at 9pm, Wednesday nights. Whether it is a plane crash in an ocean, a roller coaster accident or even a metal pipe through someone’s head from a car accident, this show gives you the thrill as if you were the first responder for that accident.

More than 25 million people tune in every week to seek the excitement from this fast pace, one hour show. With the millions of people watching and supporting, it has recently been renewed for a second season. There are currently 13 episodes for the first season, and so far with being only 4 episodes in, it hooks you and makes you feel like you are part of that reality.

The show has characters with diverse personalities and their own personal dramas. It revolves around firefighters, EMT, police officers and 9-1-1 dispatchers who are all considered first responders. The show focuses on the bizarre cases that first responders endure, but also the struggle between those cases and their personal lives along with struggles.

Athena Grant (Angela Bassett), the first responder on the Los Angeles police force, deals with the hardship of her husband as their marriage falls apart in front of their eyes. Bobby Nash (Peter Krause), the fire chief, deals with his first lost in an accident many years ago that he cannot overcome. Evan “Buck” Buckley (Oliver Stark), a rookie firefighter, has to understand the reality that he may not be able to save everyone, while trying to take his job more professionally. Abby Clark (Connie Britton), a 9-1-1 dispatcher, cares for her mom while, coping with the fact that when the call ends, she nevers knows the outcome.  

9-1-1, created by Ryan Murphy, has an inspiration and connection to this show because, when his son was only eleven months old, the baby could not catch his breath, which eventually lead to his heart stopping. Murphy was left with a feeling like no other when the first responders brought his son back to life by performing CPR. Then, when they did bring him back, he wanted to portray that feeling in the show that most people cannot relate to. The 9-1-1 calls made in the show are based off of real calls that have happened around the world. The calls that are used can be described to be frantic, because they want to draw in viewers with the shock factor.

According to the article on Pajiba and written by Tori Preston said, “So the team looks for those crazy stories — not to make the series unbelievable, but to make it relatable and realistic. Then they put their own spin on them, perhaps even giving them a more positive outcome.”

We are two very lucky girls who received many Twitter responses from Oliver Stark, who plays one of the main characters, Buck. Alexis tweeded Oliver asking if he would read our article about the show, and within three minutes of tweeting, he responded with “I will!”. Then, we found out that he would be doing a Facebook LIVE video from the 9-1-1 page. So, we came up with some questions and asked them during the video in the comments area. While watching, we realized that he read Alexis’ question and began answering. After the video, we both tweeted him asking if it would be okay to use what he said in the video in our article. About 30 minutes later, he liked Alexis’ tweet and said, “Sure!”. Never in a million years would we think we would ever get a response from someone who is verified on Twitter and Instagram. It all became very surreal as we both screamed in excitement, knowing that our article would be stronger with quotes from Oliver, himself.

We asked the question, what is one thing that you have learned by being in this show? And Oliver answered this question in such great detail that we had a hard time deciding on what to pull from his words for a quote.

“Everyday these are people that they have a home, they have a family life, and they go and they literally risk their lives for strangers and they put their lives up as collateral for strangers and what that takes. Then they go home again and that’s really incredible to me and I have nothing but respect for them,” Stark stated in his Facebook LIVE.

Though the show is fictional, the drama and problems faced are all real issues that first responders can face in real life. The bizarre calls can issues that can happen to real firefighters everyday. The show is supposed to be for entertainment but it can allow viewers to learn respect for first responders and all the hardships they endure.