• December 20Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @TheDevilier

To Be Frank About Al Franken

Franken’s Final Weeks as A U.S. Senator. Photo Credit: NBC News

BRUNSWICK, OH- On December 7, 2017, Democratic Senator Al Franken of Minnesota has announced that he will be resigning by the end of the year. Senator Franken has been accused of sexual harassment, but Franken has maintained his innocence despite his resignation. In the coming months, someone must replace Franken, and the Senator gave a little indication as to who will take his place.

Franken gave his speech on the Senate floor where he detailed the ups and downs of his political experience. For what little time is left, Franken serves on the Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, the Judiciary Committee, the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, and the Committee on Indian Affairs. Franken has served on the Senate since 2008, and he has advocated for women’s rights while being an U.S. Senator.

This is why the accusations have come as a shock to many. His speech about the misconduct was professional, but not without jabs at fellow politicians.

Franken explains, “I of all people am aware there is some irony in the fact I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party.”

Franken is angered and frustrated, as many democrats are, as to the double standard of men in politics. Franken is confused as to why both Donald Trump and Roy Moore do not have to suffer the same consequences as himself.

Besides Franken’s dismay at the Republican Party, he explained that he never brought “dishonor” to the Senate. He claims that he is resigning because he cannot represent the people of Minnesota to the fullest while defending himself. At least eight women have come forward so far, yet Franken continues to maintain his innocence.

However, Franken drops a hint, “The Minnesotans deserve a senator who can focus with all her energy on addressing the challenges they face every day.”

Franken made sure to say her, which helps narrow down the short list of those whom the governor will appoint.

The New York Post explains, “Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton’s top pick to fill Sen. Al Franken’s Senate seat, Lt. Gov. Tina Smith, is considering also running for the seat next year, as Dayton faces pressure from top Democrats in Washington to appoint more than a mere caretaker, according to two Democrats familiar with the discussions.”

This could change the Senate and encourage new diversity, but it is unlikely to affect the decisions of the Senate because the Republicans will still have the majority. Smith has very close ties with the governor and has been an advisor to him in the past.

Newsweek states, “She holds a bachelor’s degree from Stanford University and a master’s in business administration from Dartmouth College. She previously worked for General Mills before starting her own small business.”

Smith has also worked as a Chief of Staff of a former Minneapolis Mayor. She seems to be qualified for the job, but little information is known about her. What will we see from the dark horse? No one truly knows, but many are in hopes that Smith will work to change American politics.