• April 20Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier

Filed under Community, Showcase

AP & Me

Juniors Sean Tarbuck and Kyle Robinson work with elementary students on their writing assignment. Photo Credit: Michelle Raglow

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are stereotyped as being frustrating and uneventful. However, AP Language Arts with Michelle Raglow is everything except those two things. A new academic mentoring program with students at Crestview Elementary, AP & Me, has started for the first time this year with Raglow’s AP Language Arts classes. There are currently 47 AP students involved in this program.

AP & Me allows high school students to work with the elementary students once a month to help improve their reading, writing, and other academic areas. At the meetings, students will socialize with each other then start working on either reading or writing during the time they have together.

“This program allows them to go from having nothing to sentences to editing sentences to putting them on flip-grid [a website using videos to ignite student discussion and engagement] within a one-hour period which shows me the one-on-one intervention is really working,” says, Raglow.

Raglow has always wanted to do a “community-piece” with her AP programs, such as volunteer and service projects. When approached by an elementary teacher to start something together, Raglow said she was excited for it.

Both high school students and elementary students are loving their involvement in this program. The AP students are volunteering one hour of their time every meeting date, which shows their enjoyment and dedication to this program.

“My goal in participating in this program is to make the kids feel that they are important and that their school work matters,” says junior, Nicole Griffin. She also states how she enjoys the bond she is creating with these students.

Not only are the high schoolers enjoying it, but elementary students were also thrilled at the start of this program.

“It’s an activity of learning and having fun at the same time,” says first grader, Gavin Raglow.

This program is allowing students to enjoy and become more engaged with not only their learning, but their social development and teamwork skills through individual and group-work.

Michelle Raglow added: “I hope the AP classes do this on a district-level in first grade, and this becomes ingrained into this AP program, and others. I hope other AP classes will join in and go to other schools and assist students on many different areas of academics.”

The program is continuing through this school-year, and Raglow has plans to continue expanding and continuing the program for many years to follow.