• December 20Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @TheDevilier

Filed under [Our] World News

Breaking the Barriers: Election Results 2017

Democrats across the country won big on election night 2017; key race results proving America wants change. Since the 2016 presidential election, where Donald J. Trump won the electoral vote but failed to receive the popular vote, there has been unrest across the country from both Democrats, and even some Republicans beginning from the day he was inaugurated as the 45th president of the United States of America.

His leadership has questioned the agenda of the Republican party, which may explain why some Republicans lost their spots to Democrats in the most recent election. Incumbents were defeated all over the country, which rarely happens.

Two key races, the governor races of New Jersey and Virginia, went to Democrats. Chris Christie, governor of New Jersey, lost his spot after eight years to Democrat Phil Murphy. Virginia governor Ed Gillespie lost to Democrat Ralph Northam.

Besides the fact the Democrats won big, the key point to these races is the winners had very differing views from their opponent. One example was when John Caman mocked the Women’s March in Washington by posting to his facebook asking “Will the woman’s protest be over in time for them to cook dinner?” Ashley Bennett questioned him on his comments then decided to run for his seat and ended up beating Carman as a freeholder in Atlantic County, New Jersey.

“As a country, we are divided at the moment, and I think the voters are now at extreme ends instead of finding common ground, whether democrat or republican, and they are tired and want to push back to make changes in their communities,” says American history teacher, Mark Belkofer.

All the way in Helena, Montana, mayor James Smith who had been serving since 2001 made a comment about not wanting refugees to live in his city and ended up losing the reelection to a Liberian refugee.

The irony continues in the race for the 13th district in the Virginia House of Delegates. Danica Roem, the first openly transgender state lawmaker, beat 13-term incumbent Robert Marshall. Marshall is well known for being the sponsor of the “bathroom bill,” forcing transgender individuals to use the bathroom of gender from their birth certificate.

Not only an ironic election, but American voters rejected discrimination. In Charlotte, North Carolina, voters elected the first African American female mayor, Vi Lyles. In Manchester, voters ousted Republican incumbent Ted Gatsas, electing the first woman mayor of Manchester, and the first Democrat in over a decade, Joyce Craig.

The election showed America is ready for change; ready for a step into the future. Many Americans let their voices be heard at the ballots this past election, and now we must wait and see what the future will bring.