• August 21Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier

Filed under Sports

Focused on Fall Sports

BRUNSWICK, OHIO – The weather is starting to cool and students are adjusting to being back in school. Although the year has just started, many sports teams have been training for months to prepare themselves for the current fall sports season. The season has just recently started and many teams are representing Brunswick at home and on the road. Boys and girls junior varsity and varsity cross country, golf, and soccer have all been training along with football, girls volleyball, tennis, and the blue devils marching band.

I’m really excited to get back into athletics…we always want to have success in whatever sport we’re playing but ultimately in high school athletics the biggest thing in my mind is always providing kids with great opportunities to help become better people, says John Justice.

He took over the role of athletic director for the 2017-2018 school year. Justice has been attending many sporting events and practices to understand the complexity of each sport and to look for ways to help improve athletics here at the high school.

Brunswick varsity football lines up on the field against Austin Town Fitch on September 1st. Photo Credit: Tyler Benson

Brunswick football is hoping to improve their technique as they are now led by a new head coach, Mark Pinzone. Pinzone has been working hard to try to bring as many wins as possible to Brunswick and he is excited about the upcoming season.

“Our team is unique in that they never give up and work harder than any group of players I have ever coached. I am very proud of them and how well they stick together,” says Pinzone.

The Blue Devils beat Austin Town Fitch this past Friday, September 1st, at home with a score of 24-14. Their next game is Friday, September 8th, at home against Shaker Heights.

The cross country team has been putting in miles and hard work since early July. The varsity boys team is almost completely new, as the team last year consisted of mainly seniors. The girls varsity lost their fastest runner after graduation, but still have high hopes for the upcoming season. The girls varsity team has attended the state meet for eight years in a row, and plan on continuing the tradition. Both the boys and girls junior varsity teams have also been working hard and preparing for the meets ahead.

“What is unique about this group is that they truly are student-athletes. Academics is very important to the cross country group. They have good time management skills,” says assistant coach Melissa Wojtala. The cross country will be heading to Brecksville Saturday, September 9th.

Brunswick boys and girls soccer have also been putting in work on the field. The junior varsity girls have had a very successful start to the season with a record of 7-0 and varsity with a record of 4-1-1. Both junior varsity and varsity girls play Medina on September 6th  at Medina.

“I am most proud that this group understands that our goals are not achieved just by writing them on a board or saying them, rather as a result of a daily focus and effort,” says coach Scott Ward.

The junior varsity boys have been playing hard also and currently are 1-3, and the varsity is 2-0-1. They both play Medina at home next game on September 5th.

“I strongly believe we can accomplish winning our conference if we stick together and work hard as a unit. When we are working together with positivity, we are unstoppable and it’s a fantastic sight to see,” says junior Aaron Ogorzaly, varsity player.

Girls tennis has been on the courts this season. The girls are serving heat for other teams in the area. Junior varsity and varsity play Avon on September 5th.

“All these girls have each other’s back

s. Out of all my years of playing tennis, this has been the best because this team is a family,” says senior Nellie Bykova.

Both boys and girls golf has also been putting in work on the green for this upcoming season. The boys have never gone to state in school history but coach Chad Thompson has high hopes for the team this season. The boys play at Brecksville on September 5th.

“Not many programs in Ohio have kids that are as committed as ours. This is an extremely unique and fun group of guys that all get along and enjoy playing golf together,” says Thompson.

Coach Sarah Belkofer has high hopes for the season also. She hopes that her athletes can continue to cut strokes off their tryout score and to bring home a few Greater Cleveland Conference wins. Junior varsity plays Kent at 4:00 on September 5th at Coppertop. Varsity plays against Shaker Heights at 3:30 at Coppertop on September 6th.

“Golf can be a very individualized sport, but my goal this year was to make it feel like a family and I think we are getting there,” says Belkofer.

Support Brunswick athletics by attending a game and cheering them on in the future! Although the fall season has already started, there are many opportunities for students to join winter and spring activities. Represent Brunswick high school by participating in a sport or club and attend games to support the students who work hard to prepare!

“With every single sport I see with all of our kids when they put on that Brunswick blue and Brunswick jersey in all of our athletes they show a really great pride,” says Justice.