• October 28Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @TheDevilier

A new Bishop in the Diocese of Cleveland

Bishop Nelson J. Perez addresses the people of St. Agnes Cathedral during a prayer service in his former diocese.

Ed Casey

Ed Casey

BRUNSWICK, OHIO- After nearly nine months with an interim leader, Bishop Nelson J. Perez was installed in the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland on September 5. The installation mass took place at The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist downtown on Tuesday afternoon, according to Cleveland.com. Though he was appointed by Pope Francis in July, Perez officially became the diocesan bishop at this mass.

A diocesan bishop is the “the chief legislator, executive and judge in the diocese,” according to an online resource from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. A bishop is ranked higher than a priest, but lower than the cardinals and Pope Francis. For example: the Pope is like the owner of a store, bishops are like the managers, and priests are like shift leaders; the Pope and Bishops, however, can still do the job of a priest, in celebrating mass and other day-to-day operations. Bishop Perez being only the eleventh bishop to serve the diocese, he is- essentially- a new celebrity for Catholics in Cleveland.

“I’m really excited that he’s here and I think he’s going to be great. I think he’s really upbeat and excited about the church which is obviously really good,” said junior Sarah Till.

Junior Abby Pizon is also looking forward to having a new bishop. “He seems to be a real people’s person,” said Pizon, “I’m excited to see how he’ll use his background in psychology and education to help our diocese.”

Despite such positive opinions, there may still be things that Bishop Perez says which are disagreed upon by others. “Cleveland rocks,” one of his statements during the mass according to Cleveland.com, is not likely to be one of them. As the Diocese of Cleveland welcomes him, Bishop Perez welcomes Cleveland right back.