• October 28Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @TheDevilier

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Thomas (doesn’t) talk Injury

BRUNSWICK, OH- On September 7, 2017, the Cleveland Cavaliers held a press conference to introduce the newest assets they acquired in their recent blockbuster trade. In this trade, the Cavaliers received Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, and Ante Zizic and the Celtics received a Cleveland fan-favorite, Kyrie Irving. The press conference covered a wide variety of topics, but a lot the focus was on Thomas and his pressing hip injury.

The trade was announced on August 22 but was not finalized until a week later because of Isaiah Thomas’ current hip condition. Thomas was injured during game two of the 2017 Eastern Conference Finals and missed the rest of the playoffs. The Cavs were thinking of vetoing the trade or asking for more from Boston since Thomas is not 100 percent healthy, according to CBS Sports. Thomas did not have hip surgery. He is still not doing any basketball activities, but only working out in the gym and running.  

During the press conference the new Cavs general manager, Koby Altman, did not want to talk about Thomas’ hip injury at all.

“To be fair to Isaiah, we’re not going to address any specifics on his hip injury. We’re also not going to put a timetable on it,” Altman stated according to ESPN.

After this comment, Altman shut down all questions that would refer to Thomas and his hip. He kept stressing that there is no timetable and that the press should want to talk about Isaiah Thomas the ‘All-Star.’

One last person still tried to ask about Thomas’s injury and Altman did not want to hear it. “This is not going to turn into the Isaiah Thomas hip press conference,” according to ESPN.

Isaiah did comment on how he is feeling and all of the workouts he has been doing. Altman did say that there is a ‘non-surgical plan’ in place.

“As Koby said, we have a plan set and we’re just going to attack that plan and get back to 100 percent as soon as possible,” Thomas said according to ESPN.

The plan is to get Thomas back at some point in the season healthy and back to his peak status. The Cavs Organization recently stated that Thomas will be back in January, but that won’t stop Thomas from slowly working out and getting back to 100 percent. This offseason the Cavs signed Derrick Rose and Jose Calderon who are both point guards.

When Thomas does come back, he is set on bringing another championship to the city of Cleveland. He wrote a letter in The Players Tribune discussing the trade and how he feels about the new city he gets to call home.

Thomas stated in his letter, according to The Players Tribune, “You are not going to want to mess with the Cavs this year. This is going to be a great year to be a Cavs fan, a great year. And I’m excited.”

Thomas went on to talk about how playing for Cleveland is a ‘match made in heaven.’ He mentioned that last year he was always tripled teamed which would result in him having to pass the ball.

To comment on triple teaming on his new team, Thomas said, “You really going to throw three guys on me when I’m sharing a court with the best basketball player on the planet? Nah, I don’t think so,” according to The Players Tribune.

Thomas was referring to Lebron James when talking about the ‘Best player in the World.’ In the rest of his letter, he expressed his enthusiasm to play LeBron James.

Though Thomas is sidelined from basketball activities in the upcoming months, due to his hip injury he sustained in the playoffs last season, he is not short of excited for the upcoming season. Even without a timetable for his return, he is set on winning another championship for The Land.