• October 28Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @TheDevilier

Filed under Showcase, Uncategorized

The Dangers of Artificial Intelligence

Elon+Musk+sits+down+and+talks+with+Chris+Anderson%2CTED+talk+creator.++
Elon Musk sits down and talks with Chris Anderson,TED talk creator.

TED Talk

TED Talk

BRUNSWICK, OH- Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, recently gave his opinion on

what the biggest danger to humanity is, Artificial Intelligence. AI is used everywhere, from the assistants on our phones, to the AI that helps Google find sources. AI is growing fast, Google and other companies are now experimenting with self-driving cars. Elon Musk, among others, are afraid AI will soon be able to grow beyond our control. This isn’t “I, Robot” or “The Matrix” the only hero of this story is humanity. According to Musk, AI is vastly more of a threat than North Korea, any modern problem pales in comparison to what AI could be in the future.

Vladimir Putin expressed interest in developing AI, in response Elon Musk tweeted,

“China, Russia, soon all countries w strong computer science. Competition for AI superiority at national level most likely cause of WW3 imo”

As he said there, he believes that Artificial Intelligence will be the cause of World War Three. He believes that AI is “Like summoning a demon” according to the Washington Post.

Almost everyone uses AI daily,  Facebook, Google, and almost all smartphones use some variation of artificial intelligence. Voice assistants in phones is just the first step, AI has the opportunity to grow to unimaginable lengths.

Elon Musk is not the only person advocating against the development of AI, Stephen Hawking and Bill Gates both agree with Musk. With Stephen Hawking saying that he’s “Not afraid of Black Holes,” and that “AI is another story” Vanity Fair said.

Although there are also very powerful people for the development of AI besides Putin, Demis Hassabis, Steve Wozniak, and Mark Zuckerberg all advocate it.

According to Vanity Fair, Hassabis the owner of DeepMind, a company that focuses on the development of AI, and Elon Musk had a conversation years ago.

“Musk explained that his ultimate goal at SpaceX was the most important project in the world: interplanetary colonization.  Hassabis replied that, in fact, he was working on the most important project in the world: developing artificial super-intelligence. Musk countered that this was one reason we needed to colonize Mars—so that we’ll have a bolt-hole if A.I. goes rogue and turns on humanity. Amused, Hassabis said that A.I. would simply follow humans to Mars.” Vanity Fair  said.

That is pretty scary, if AI keeps developing, and it goes rogue, humans have no escape. Then the issue arises on deciding what is “Human”. If AI grows to such an extent that it develops feelings, thoughts of it’s own, and it’s own “life” should it be treated as an equal? Odds are, that question will be answered sometime in the near future.

Elon Musk is the CEO of OpenAI, a company to help expand and learn about Artificial Intelligence, but with the necessary restrictions needed to do it safely.