• October 28Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @TheDevilier

Filed under 2012-2013, Sports

Jake Lowe goes to States

BRUNSWICK OH- What does it mean to be a diver? Each person puts in so much time and effort it’s utterly amazing. It’s a hard sport to compete in. For the second year in a row senior Jake Lowe has made it to states. He states, “Currently, I am just happy that I have made it this far in the competition in general. I am up against a ton of very good divers, so it is cool to be among those in rankings. I’m much more relaxed going into this competition than I was last year. I don’t feel more confident, but I feel more content in the idea of staying collected. I spent nearly 15-20 hrs a week over the summer on low & high board, along with putting in extra practices during the school season. I’m honestly not very sure if I will make it to finals, but if I do I’ll be incredibly happy because I didn’t make it last year. I’m looking forward to seeing all of my friends that I have made through diving at states, along with the copious divers I went against during USA Diving over the summer. I’m not looking forward to the general stress that comes with states.” So as he gives us a wrap up of what it will be like, on February 25, 2017 at Canton McKinley high school Jake will be working up the nerve to get on that board around thousands of people and dive. As the build up was intense and as Jake went he tells us about it, “I’d say they went really well compared to past years. Being around all of the other divers in the state. The atmosphere is awesome, and I always dive well in it. I feel like I did how I expected to do performance wise. Placement wise, I was shocked. I was seeded 19th, and bumping up 6 spots was a big deal.” So as he made a huge achievement, it was not as nerve wrecking as he thought it would it be. Making headlines, it was an amazing thing to participate in as his days are counting down as a senior.