• October 28Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @TheDevilier

Filed under Editorial, Showcase

The Truth Behind Blocked Websites

BRUNSWICK,OH- Technology in schools has become widespread, including new laptops in the classroom, and a new set up of how we are educated day to day. The development of Google Classroom has brought a unique foundation for education to Brunswick High School. During recent years, Brunswick has given each student a laptop, adding an entirely new element to regulation. As we are being prepared for college, we are also told what websites we can and cannot visit. From Netflix to Pinterest, we are unable to access websites as they serve as a distraction to students and may potentially take away from the lesson. The fact of the matter is that we are being taught for our future, we are constantly being told the “cans” and “cannots” for the life ahead of us. How are students expected to take these lessons seriously if students are not even trusted to regulate the websites they visit?

From a standpoint of punishment, it can be understood that by blocking websites entirely there would be less havoc to deal with. But as individuals, I believe it would be best to hold each student accountable for his/her own actions.

Junior, Kayla Stewart, comments on the technology of Brunswick High School by stating “I think that if we have the ability to have the resources such as computers that we should be responsible enough to decide what we do on them”

In the years ahead of us we will be attending college or be settling into a workplace within our careers. While independent, we will not have the advantage (or disadvantage) of having someone completely regulating every single move we make. By not being held accountable for our own actions it may be hurting us rather than helping. Although wiping out the problem may be an easy fix, a new problem could be arising.

This issue is not only a potential problem for students but for teachers as well. Teachers are told they need to incorporate this new technology into their lesson plans along with the rise of Google Classroom.

“I understand that bandwidth is an issue at Brunswick City Schools, however, we need to come up with an alternative option to keep up with 21st-century skills,” said Brunswick teacher, Mrs. Raglow.

For example, part of the AP class curriculum includes documentaries, which are available on Netflix. Although this would be easily accessed by a teacher that already has a Netflix account for personal use, blocking this website restricts them from using this option. Therefore, by blocking this website teachers are then limited to purchasing the documentary out of their own expense, rather than by resources already in reach.