• October 28Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, @TheDevilier

Filed under A&E, Uncategorized

Fashion Week Frenzy

BRUNSWICK, OH- It’s that time of year again, New York Fashion week. With all the glitz and the glam of NYC during these nine days, it’s hard to keep track. September 7th to the 15th is packed full of clothes, shoes, makeup, and hair. Like every fashion week, there has been ground breaking moments and there has been controversial moments. With new additions to everyone’s favorite week, New York Fashion Week has been a hit.

With dozens of designers a day, fashion week is a busy but glamorous time. Some of the more well known designers like, Calvin Klein, Tom Ford, Alexander Wang, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs, and Victoria Beckham, to name a few, presented their different 2017 pieces on catwalks surrounded by many A list celebrities.

Overall, fashion week gets many mixed reviews. This year, the controversial choices made by designers took over this year’s NYFW. On September 8th, Kanye West presented his Yeezy season 4 outside in the heat. There has been more bad reviews than good. Many would say that Kanye lacks originality and all ofhis collections look the exact same. West’s collections include a unique mixture of tight or baggy clothes with earthy tones and nude colors. The problems start when the show is delayed and guest are waiting outside in the hot weather.

Kanye’s shows are different from many others with some models standing in rows and some walking down the runway. According to a blog post on Manrepeller.com, “Also remarkable to think that Kanye West will have one of the most talked about shows if not the most talked about show this season- not in spite of what he put attendees/models through.” Things took a turn for the worst when there were reports of models fainting and those in the audience getting up to offer them water. According to Fashionista.com, “I’d be remiss not to mention here that, despite the high temperatures and complete lack of shade, there was no water to be found.” Fashion Week was off to a great start.

The last day of NYFW was Marc Jacob’s time to shine. His highly anticipated shows attract many celebrities and media outlets. The first thing you notice about the models on this runway are the dangerously high platform heels, the 70’s vibes dresses and coats, and then the rainbow colored dreadlocks. This is where the controversy starts. Through social media, Marc Jacobs has received a lot of backlash. The main argument from guests and followers of the fashion world, is that if Marc Jacobs wanted to use dreadlocks, he should’ve cast African American models. The problem doesn’t stop there with the help of social media. On September 18th, Marc Jacobs took to Instagram with the caption, “I have read allyour comments and I thank you for expressing your feelings. I apologize for the lack of sensitivity unintentionally expressed by my brevity. I wholeheartedly believe in freedom of speech and freedom to express oneself through art, clothes, words, hair, music, everything. Of course I do “see” color but I do not discriminate. That is a fact! Please continue to express your feelings freely but do it kindly. Nothing is gained from spreading hate by name calling and bullying.” The words from the designer himself have yet to help the cause.

On a positive note, this New York fashion week brought many firsts for the fashion industry. Christian Siriano was one of the many designers who changed the game with having more full figure women show off his spring 2017 collection. According to Teenvogue.com, “Other designers should take heed, as Siriano is designing killer clothes for curvy women at a range of price points.” Another moment that changed the fashion world was the first runway show with every outfit including a hijab. Designer Anniesa Hasibuan has started a fashion movement by including her culture and religion on the catwalk. According to Elle.com, “48 looks went down the runway and at the end, Hasibuan was given a standing ovation- a rare sight at fashion week.” Although there are many moments during these weeks that are questionable, many designers make a statement and start a movement with their art. This New York Fashion week was one to remember. Now on to London, Paris, and Milan.

Marc Jacobs SS17 (Turkagram.com)

nyfwarticle