• December 3Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier & on Instagram, @bhsdevilier

Filed under A&E

Choir Construction

Photo Credit; Karen Reshni Madrigals warm up before rehearsal

Choir Construction Karen Reshni
BRUNSWICK,OH- The past three years of Brunswick High School’s choir program can be described simply as an emotional rollercoaster for long time members. In order to have a sense of community in the program, there needs to be a connection among students and director. This does not happen when the director is constantly being changed. Thus prohibiting the choirs from reaching their max potential. However, this year Mr.Pytel and the executive board are bringing new and exciting changes to the choir room. During the summer of 2016, the BHS choir program went under construction.
Last year Mixed Symphonic scored straight ones in class A at state contest. This is nothing short of an amazing accomplishment because it’s been a long time coming since the last big win for the choir program. At the end of the school year, Mr. Pytel still felt a sense of “disembodiment among the choirs”. In order to change these feelings, he recalled his own high school choir experience at Medina High School and decided to create an executive board of students. The senior president, Savannah Pfister said, “Being president allows me to share all the things I’ve learned as a choral singer with the future leaders of the program as well as giving me the chance to share my opinion on certain topics within the program that deserves attention. This is the first year that the choir program has ever had officers, and I could not be more excited to work people who care about the program and it’s future as much as I do.” Make sure to congratulate and wish Pfister luck during her senior year.
As well as the creation of officers, there are new ensembles this year. Men’s Ensemble has been added to the normal school schedule for every 9-12th grade male. Every Tuesday and Thursday, a non-auditioned, not limited to choir, men’s chorus meets before school at 6:50 to perform fun music and enjoy doughnuts. In the place of concert choir, there is now a freshman girls chorus. Also, Treble Choir is a non audition choir open to 10-12th graders. Show choir and Madrigals remain unchanged but Mr.Pytel is excited because this year the audition choirs consist of the students that he was able to pick. Because of last years success in Mixed Symphonic, the goal is to continue straight ones but go class AA. Vice president Hope Williams said, “ I honestly am hoping Mixed Symphonic will go Class AA for district and state contests this year, last year we went Class A and we received straight superior ratings and I believe with the numbers and talent we have this year, we can be successful in a higher class.” Williams and the rest of the classes are optimistic for a wonderful year of great choral singing.
Music programs all around the U.S are struggling to keep pride within the program. At Brunswick High School we show respect to all programs that represent our community. Encourage your siblings and friends to try-out or join a group with you and gain a family in the process. Be sure to show your support for the groups at their first concert October fourth in the PAC.