• August 21Follow us on Twitter, @TheDevilier

Filed under A&E

“The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world”

BRUNSWICK, OH – Batman and Superman have long been allies, forming the Justice League and stopping villains together for years. However, over their decades long friendship they have been known to butt heads every once in awhile. Now, Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Entertainment is bringing their disagreements to life with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. On March 25th, Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill will bring these larger-than-life heroes to the big screen in one of the most anticipated movies of the year.

The movie seems to be a political thriller with some of the human population wary of Superman because of what happened in Man of Steel and Batman feeling it is his personal responsibility to keep an eye on the alien’s actions. Superman in turn, believes that Batman is a criminal vigilante who should be brought to justice. The tension is said to be orchestrated by Superman’s arch nemesis, Lex Luthor, played by Jesse Eisenberg. While the heroes are busy fighting each other, Luthor is said to create villainous beast Doomsday. The two foes then have to put aside their differences and stop the monster from destroying Metropolis, though not alone.

Wonder Woman, played by Gal Gadot, joins the duo and manages to get them to work together. In fact, it is rumored that a whole slew of heroes will make a brief appearance in Batman v Superman, including Aquaman and The Flash. Conan the Barbarian actor Jason Momoa takes on the role of Aquaman in a way that has not been seen before. According to the pictures released, he sheds the orange and green spandex, grows his hair out, and sports some tribal tattoos. However, The Flash, played by The Perks of Being a Wallflower’s Ezra Miller is still a mystery to audiences, with what he looks like or his role in the film remaining a secret. Some are saying that the character cameos in this movie will inspire Batman and Superman to form the Justice League, hence the title Dawn of Justice.

DC Entertainment is actually about to unleash a superhero movement that is set to rival that of Marvel’s. The company has been long time rivals with Marvel Comics, starting with their first successful issue, Superman, in World War II. Marvel has been pulling ahead the past decade with their twelve, soon to be thirteen movies but they may not be for long. Man of Steel (2013) was the first of their movie onslaught with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice now their second. The supervillain task force movie, Suicide Squad, comes out August 26. and a highly anticipated Wonder Woman movie, also starring Gal Gadot, is set to come out in 2017. Perhaps the most anticipated movie to come from DC is The Justice League – Part 1 which was just announced last month. The movie is set to start filming April 11th with Zack Snyder as the director.

Speaking of Zack Snyder, the director returns to the DC scene after Man of Steel, this time adding the Caped Crusader to his cast. Others returning from Man of Steel include Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Diane Lane as Martha Kent, and of course Henry Cavill as the man from Krypton himself. Some new faces for this movie are Holly Hunter as Senator Finch, Jeremy Irons as Bruce Wayne’s butler Alfred, and new Batman actor, Ben Affleck. Affleck is the sixth live-action actor to play Batman in the character’s history, and regardless of who your favorite is, they all brought something to the table. Although this Batman is supposed to be different, more Arkham Knight than SWAT team, Affleck still has big shoes to fill following Christian Bale’s Dark Knight trilogy that were huge box office hits.  This may be Affleck’s first time as Batman, but this will not be the last. He is also expected to make a brief appearance in Suicide Squad this summer.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will definitely be a movie that people will be talking about for a while. Both those familiar with the comics and those that are not will enjoy seeing two heroes fight each other in what we can assume to be some of the craziest scenes of all time. The DC universe is expanding and a new line of superhero movies is upon us. The expectations of this movie are high, but the movie is expected to be successful. Will The Man of Steel and The Dark Knight pull through to deliver a SUPER movie? We will just have to wait to find out!